The School of Advanced Locksmithing was established in Johannesburg in 2001. It is accredited by SASSETA (The Safety and Security Seta) and is registered with PSIRA (Private Security Industry Regulatory Authority). It is the only institution offering full time locksmithing qualifications in South Africa The requirements of the PSIRA Act that every locksmith must register with the Authority and have a recognised qualification made the setting up of the school a necessity
Courses are offered in Key Cutting, Locksmithing and Safe Opening.
The Mission and objectives of the School are
- To provide locksmiths with a cost effective, quality and formal education in the locksmith trade.
- To train new entrants into the locksmith industry by providing them with basic and advanced training and encouraging them to continue to improve their standards by striving for greater education in their chosen field.
- To ensure that training and expertise in the locksmith industry is made available to all who wish to participate but particularly to members of previously disadvantaged communities.
- To nurture and promote an active, dynamic and regenerative locksmith industry.
- To promote cooperation between locksmiths.
- To encourage, promote and inculcate in all students a culture of honesty and ethical conduct in their dealings with fellow locksmiths, customers and the general public..
Gerald Mindel, the founder and current Principal and facilitator of the School of Advanced Locksmithing, is the first SASSETA accredited Assessor and Moderator in the Locksmith Industry. He has been a Locksmith for over 41 years and is well known in the Industry in South Africa and abroad.